Posts Tagged 'Text Invaders'

Text Invaders 0.6

After a bit of work, I’ve released another version of Text Invaders in Java, this time a bit more featureful. The full changelog is on Google Code here, but in summary, I added a HUD, money/score, menus, a rudimentary shop, and waves. The release is available in executable jar format again here. The next release should add a lot of polish and turn what are mostly a bunch of placeholders in this version into actual counterparts of the VB version.

Text Invaders Java 0.5

I’ve resumed working on my Java port of Text Invaders, and so far things are going fairly well. I’ve got an alpha quality release up on Google Code now, available at http://code.google.com/p/textinvaders/ . Right now it’s just basic collision detection and graphics working. I’ve got a list of bugs in the issue tracker for each milestone, and I hope to get 1.0 out by the end of the summer.

The game is packaged in an executable JAR format, which should mean it’s cross-platform as I only use built-in nonnative libraries (Graphics2D FTW) but I haven’t tried it on anything other than Windows yet.

Text Invaders Plans

So I’ve got a handful of free time this summer, between robotics, getting a driver’s license, and trying to get back in shape, and I’ve decided to start working on a Java port of Text Invaders. Hopefully I’ll be able to finish the game this time. Unfortunately with the original VB6 version it languished for a while, and when I was actually interested in completing it I had learned Java and Visual Basic seemed too primitive. VB6 isn’t even fully object-oriented. For example there are classes and inheritance, but it’s only interface inheritance and not implementation inheritance, so any subclasses have to rewrite inherited methods, which kind of defeats the purpose of inheritance in my opinion. And my code for Text Invaders was so sloppy, and mostly in one file, that I just couldn’t bear to edit it anymore.

Now, I’ve taken the basic drawing code I used for my APCS final project, named LANeroids now, and modified it to use text instead of polygons. By moving to Java I gain a lot of nice things like true object orientation and instant cross-platform capabilities, but sadly I also give up some nice things like DirectX support. I think it might be possible to add DirectX to a Java app, but that would make it cease being cross-platform, so I don’t know if that’s worth it. OpenGL is a nice alternative I guess, but I’d also need to use OpenAL for sound most likely. And I was so proud of my 3D positional effects, too. Once I’ve gotten a definitive Java version done, complete with actual levels with perhaps multiple waves per level, bosses, online high score boards, automatic updates, and such, I’m considering doing a Wii or DS homebrew port. A post-1.0 version might also add in co-op multiplayer. Anyway, this is all speculation right now. Back to coding!