Posts Tagged 'PC'

Text Invaders Plans

So I’ve got a handful of free time this summer, between robotics, getting a driver’s license, and trying to get back in shape, and I’ve decided to start working on a Java port of Text Invaders. Hopefully I’ll be able to finish the game this time. Unfortunately with the original VB6 version it languished for a while, and when I was actually interested in completing it I had learned Java and Visual Basic seemed too primitive. VB6 isn’t even fully object-oriented. For example there are classes and inheritance, but it’s only interface inheritance and not implementation inheritance, so any subclasses have to rewrite inherited methods, which kind of defeats the purpose of inheritance in my opinion. And my code for Text Invaders was so sloppy, and mostly in one file, that I just couldn’t bear to edit it anymore.

Now, I’ve taken the basic drawing code I used for my APCS final project, named LANeroids now, and modified it to use text instead of polygons. By moving to Java I gain a lot of nice things like true object orientation and instant cross-platform capabilities, but sadly I also give up some nice things like DirectX support. I think it might be possible to add DirectX to a Java app, but that would make it cease being cross-platform, so I don’t know if that’s worth it. OpenGL is a nice alternative I guess, but I’d also need to use OpenAL for sound most likely. And I was so proud of my 3D positional effects, too. Once I’ve gotten a definitive Java version done, complete with actual levels with perhaps multiple waves per level, bosses, online high score boards, automatic updates, and such, I’m considering doing a Wii or DS homebrew port. A post-1.0 version might also add in co-op multiplayer. Anyway, this is all speculation right now. Back to coding!

My New Computer

So, I built a computer in August and it’s pretty fast and wasn’t too expensive either. Runs all the newest games in high resolutions and stuff.

Specs:
Athlon 64 X2 5000+ @ 2.9Ghz (from 2.6 stock)

2x1GB Mushkin DDR2-800

512MB Radeon HD 2900 Pro @ 742/1000mhz (XT speeds, from 600/800 stock, only OC for demanding games though)

Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H 690G Socket AM2 motherboard (w/ integrated Radeon x1250)

250GB Seagate 7200.10 SATA 3g (233GiB)

Windows Vista Home Premium x64

So far it’s great, moving up from an Athlon XP 2200+ w/ 512MB and 128MB R9200SE was amazing. Crysis runs, lol, and UT3 runs fast @60fps on 1440×900, around 50 and dips on 1680×1050 native.